Monday 1 December 2014

Breaking The Silence


I'm feeling somewhat subdued today, yesterday Kavan had to go for a hearing test in the Audiology department because despite my efforts he is not talking yet. To be fair he only turned 2 at the end of September and although I'm not overly worried it is starting to make me wonder, is there a problem?

Dont get me wrong Kavan CAN say the odd few words, he just chooses not to. I don't know if its laziness or something medical. It all started when we went for his 2 year check up, the lady asked me heaps of questions, can he do this and does he do that. It was a mixed bag really, I found that from her questions it made me realise that actually he can do more than I thought he could which was nice, the one thing that was apparent was his lack of chatter.

Its a strange feeling, the results from the appointment were all fine, he heard all of the noises as responded accordingly, they checked inside his ears and he does have a bit of congestion on each due to the cold he has just got over. This is OK and normal so they will see us again in January. Im hoping by then he will be speaking! I feel a bit...... incomplete. I have friends with children more or less the same age as Kavan and they are singing the Frozen theme tune! Yes,Yes I know all children are different, the all develop at different times and often boys are known to be lazier than girls but I honestly long to hear his voice. Sounds melodramatic and ridiculous I know and I'm sure so many mothers will respond with something like, ' Make the most of it ' ' Once he starts he won't stop!'. This is probably true but I do long to chat with my toddler, and I think it will do him the world of good to be able to communicate with us and actually tell us what he wants!

Im going to try a multitude of ideas that I have picked up from other mums and yes, i admit it, Pinterest!

Flash Cards, giving him options, singing songs and even counting objects are all on the agenda. Follow our progress, if any of it works I will be sure to sing and dance about it.

S.L x

No comments:

Post a Comment